Toxic Mold

When homes and buildings are not properly maintained, they run the risk of developing dangerous mold on the floor, walls, and ceilings. Mold, though seemingly harmless, may actually pose a serious health threat to building occupants. Toxic mold in particular can be harmful to anyone exposed to them. These fungi produce byproducts called mycotoxins which, when released into the air, can cause lung problems and brain damage to those who inhale too much of them.

Protect Yourself

Toxic mold buildup can be prevented if residents properly maintain their homes by taking the following steps:

  • Use an exhaust fan in your bathroom, and wipe down all surfaces after taking a hot shower
  • If you notice that your water pipes are leaking, repair them as soon as possible
  • If your roof is leaking, immediately repair it
  • Install your clothes drier vents to send the exhaust outside instead of into another room or under the house
  • Install a dehumidifier into a room that appears to be frequently humid or moist
  • Insulate your pipes so that they do not have condensation buildup
  • Be wary of installing carpet into rooms that see a lot of moisture

Mold tends to grow in moist environments, such as bathrooms or kitchens. By taking the above preventative steps, you can help shield yourself and your family from dangerous mold. Apartment complex and business owners have the responsibility of taking the majority of these steps to protect their tenants from mold dangers.

Contact Us

If you or someone you love has been harmed by exposure to toxic mold, then you may have the right to compensation. call the Indianapolis personal injury lawyers of the Hankey Law Office today at (800) 520-3633 to learn more about your legal options.