Frequently Asked Questions
Anyone who is unable to work because of a disability may face a complex legal battle in order to receive the financial support they deserve. The Indiana Social Security attorneys of the Hankey Law Office understand the stress associated with this process and are dedicated to minimizing the complications associated with Social Security laws. In addition to these legal challenges, we also represent individuals who have suffered from personal injuries or those dealing with workers’ compensation issues.
In order to better serve you, our team of attorneys has put together a list of frequently asked questions that may be useful in your case. If you or someone you love has questions pertaining to these or other related topics, contact one of our experienced and compassionate attorneys at (317) 634-8565.
Social Security Video FAQS
- How do I apply for Social Security disability benefits – what is the best method?
- What is disabled under Social Security standards?
- What is the difference between SSI and SSD?
- How many work credits do I need to be eligible for SSD?
- I live with my parents who make decent money – will that affect me trying to obtain my SSI benefits?
- What if I haven’t been to the doctor in a long time – is that a problem?
- Can I work and receive benefits at the same time?
- Can I draw unemployment and receive benefits at the same time?
- What happens after I apply?
- Why does it take so long to get a hearing?
- What is the Appeals Council and are my chances good?
- What happens if we lose at the Appeals Council?
- What is the benefit of having an attorney during the SS process?
Long Term Disability Video FAQS
- What’s the difference between SSD & LTD?
- When should I apply for long-term disability benefits?
- Can’t I just try to reason with my insurance company?
- What should I do after my long-term disability claim is denied?
- What happens if I am denied long-term benefits?
- My claim was denied because of a pre-existing condition. What does this mean?
- How long should my long term disability coverage last?
- How does LTD impact SSD or vice versa?
Workers Compensation Video FAQS
- What is workers’ compensation?
- Under workers’ compensation, what are the types of compensation?
- How long do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim?
- Can I see my own Doctor for a workers’ compensation Injury?
- What if my employer disputes that the injuries were work related?
- What if my employer tells me to perform work that is not doctor approved?
- Am I Eligible for Temporary Total Disability?
Child Personal Injury Video FAQS
- If my child is injured how can I protect their rights?
- Do children have the same rights as adults when they are injured?
- Is it smart to settle quickly with an insurance adjuster, before things get complicated?
- Are cases involving a child’s injury worth more than an adult’s injury?
Personal Injury Video FAQS
- Do I have a case?
- How will I know what my personal injury case is worth?
- Should I give the insurance company a recorded statement?
- If I hire a lawyer, will the lawyer get most of the settlement money?
- The insurance company says I can handle the case myself without a lawyer. Is this a good idea?
- If you take my case, what will I have to do?
- How long will my case take?
- How much compensation can I receive for medical malpractice?
- What constitutes medical malpractice?
- What is medical malpractice?
- What is Personal Injury Law?
- Is it worth my time and money to file a personal injury lawsuit?
- What are my odds of winning a personal injury lawsuit?
- What is negligence?
- Will I have to go to court?
- How long will my case take?
- What do insurance claims adjusters do?
- How should I choose the right legal representative for my case?
- What questions should I ask a lawyer before hiring him or her?
- What do I need to do to change my lawyer?
- What are the benefits of initial filing assistance for Social Security disability benefits?
- What are the steps of appealing a rejected SS claim?
- Is a mental disability handled the same way as a physical disability by the SSA?
- What should I do after a bike accident?