Farm Tractor Accidents
The leading cause of fatal and disabling injuries on farms are tractor accidents. It is not uncommon to hear a story of a farmhand being pinned, crushed beneath, thrown from, run over, or killed by a tractor-related accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a tractor accident, contact the Indianapolis farm accident attorneys of the Hankey Law Office, at (317) 634-8565 to learn more about your legal options.
Tractor Accident Statistics
Studies shows that tractor accidents have caused anywhere from 30% to 50% of fatal injuries occurring on farms.
The most common fatal tractor accidents involve:
- Tractor roll-overs
- Tractor overturning
- Tractors crushing and running over tractor operators
- Collisions with other vehicles
- Contact/collision with low-lying structure such as wiring or other overhangs
- Becoming entangled in the power take-off shaft
Many fatal tractor accidents can be avoided with properly equipped rollover protection. Seatbelts and other protective devices protect the operator from lethal substances such as alkaline fluids, fuel, coolants, and protection from airborne objects.
Guide to a Safer Operating Environment
Here are a few steps for staying safe on the farm:
- Equip your tractor with bypass starter covers, master shields, safety guards, Slow Moving Vehicle (SMV) Signage, and emergency lighting
- Consolidate work areas to only workers directly involved with the task at hand.
- Disengage all components or attachments when staging the tractor
- Do not perform maintenance until all moving parts arrive at a stop.
- Do not tow objects heavier than the tractor’s recommended towing amount.
- Spread wheels to prevent overturns.
- Service/inspect the tractor regularly.
- Wear safety gear such as helmets, gloves, goggles, ear plugs, and anti-slip footwear.
- Equip the tractor with fire extinguisher and first-aid kid.
If you have been injured while performing personal or work-related duties on a farm tractor, contact the Indianapolis farm tractor accident lawyers of the Hankey Law Office at (317) 634-8565.