Salmonella is a dangerous type of bacteria that, though not life-threatening, can cause a great amount of physical pain and stress in those it infects. It enters into the human body through the victim’s ingestion of a contaminated food product. In general, the best way for an individual to avoid developing salmonellosis, the illness caused by this microorganism, is for him or her to thoroughly clean and cook all produce, eggs and meat. Restaurants and food manufacturing companies have the responsibility of taking these precautions, as well, before selling prepackaged or prepared food to their customers.

How does one develop salmonellosis?

Salmonella is found in animal feces, and it is transferred to food and beverage products through contamination during the harvesting and processing procedures. Typically, salmonella is found in the following products:

  • Raw eggs
  • Raw meat and poultry
  • Unpasteurized milk and juice
  • Produce
  • Contaminated water

To get rid of the bacteria found in contaminated products, those preparing the food should thoroughly wash and cook all items before eating or serving them.

Salmonellosis Symptoms

Salmonellosis is not a deadly disease, but complications that can arise from this illness may be life-threatening if not treated. The symptoms of salmonellosis include the following:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Fever and chills
  • Stomach cramping
  • Bloody stools

Salmonellosis may cause severe dehydration through the excessive fluid loss caused by diarrhea and vomiting. If the bacteria enter into one’s blood stream, the victim may also develop typhoid fever or organ and tissue infections, which may be deadly if not addressed promptly.

Contact Us

If you or someone you love has suffered from salmonella because of a negligent food manufacturing company or food service business, then you have the right to take legal action against this party. Contact the Indianapolis personal injury lawyers of the Hankey Law Office today at (800) 520-3633 to discuss your case with a qualified attorney.