What to do When You are in a Motor Vehicle Accident
As a personal injury law firm, we often hear our clients say, “I didn’t know what to do after the accident.” Obviously shaken up, this is not the time to try and figure out what your next step is. As such, we have put together a check list of things to do following an accident:
- The VERY FIRST THING TO DO – Think Safety First. Get yourself out of the car and off the roadway to avoid further injury. Try to get off the shoulder of the roadway in case other cars come upon the accident too quickly and cannot stop
- Remain calm and secure the accident scene with hazard flashers and/or flares
- If needed, call for medical help immediately
- Only discuss the accident with the police and don’t accept fault with anyone
- Photograph (feel free to use your phone) the accident scene preferably before any cars are moved
- Notify your insurance company if you are sued.
- Contact your attorney to discuss our legal options following the accident.
- The following is a list of useful information to gather following the accident:
- Date of the accident
- Time of Day
- Location/Weather Conditions
- Other Driver’s Information
- Any Witness Information
- Jot down a general description of the accident
- Jot down the damage to your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle
- Make a note if the other party admitted fault
- Draw a diagram of the accident
- Get the Police Officer’s name and badge number
Our personal injury team has years of experience fighting for the rights of people suffering from injuries incurred at the hands of negligent individuals. If you or someone you love has been the victim of an accident caused by another, you may be eligible for compensation for your suffering. Contact us today at 317-634-8565 for a free case review – We’re here for you.