Bike Safety Tips
Bicycles offer an enjoyable and frequently very practical method of transportation for their riders. They don’t require gas, they allow for navigation through and around dense traffic, and they have the added benefit of being very environmentally friendly. Cycling can also be an enjoyable hobby and a great form of exercise. Unfortunately, cycling, like many recreational activities, comes with the risk of injury.
There are many ways to prevent bicycle accidents. However, taking every precaution is not always enough. Negligence on the behalf of a motorist may cause you to become severely injured. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by another party’s actions, contact the Indianapolis bicycle accident attorneys at Hankey Marks & Crider at (317) 634-8565. You may be entitled to receive financial compensation for medical bills and other relevant damages.
Important Safety Precautions
Although you cannot completely eliminate the risk of a bicycle accident, you should be aware of steps you can take to lessen the likelihood that you may become a victim. The following are some essential safety measures for any cyclist:
- Wear a helmet
- Stay to right side of road
- Ride on well-lit, paved roads and, if possible, bike paths
- Wear reflective clothing
- Use arm and hand signals to indicate turns
- Ride with others
- Ensure that your bike is adequately maintained
Choosing the Right Helmet
Helmets are arguably the most important form of safety equipment one can use when riding a bike, traveling on a skateboard, using in-line skates, or riding a scooter. Because they reduce your chances of suffering head and brain injuries by around 80%, all individuals who use the above forms of transportation should purchase a helmet to make sure they stay safe on the road at all times.
Accidents are an unfortunate reality in our world today, so it is important to always practice safe riding behaviors. When accidents do happen as a result of another party’s negligent actions, there is another layer of protection you can employ: the legal system. The law exists to protect you from reckless individuals if you incurred damages as a result of their behavior.
Tips to Help You Choose
The following tips can help you make the best decision regarding the purchase of a helmet for your given sport:
- Make sure you find the right size. An employee at a large sporting goods store can help you try on different models to find the best fit.
- Make sure the helmet is certified by the standards set by the United States Consumer Products Safety Commission for impact.
- Ensure that the helmet fits correctly on your head and lies in the correct location to protect your from maximum impact.
- Speak with an associate or read the label to ensure that the helmet is appropriate for your sport of choice.
Wearing a helmet is not only responsible; it can truly save your life in the event of a crash. Your life is too valuable to risk by not wearing this simple piece of safety gear.
If you or your loved one has been harmed in a bicycle accident that was caused by another person, despite your best efforts to practice safe riding behaviors, you may wish to consult a personal injury attorney. Contact the Indianapolis bicycle accident lawyers at Hankey Marks & Crider at (317) 634-8565 to learn more about your legal rights and options.