Hearing loss can occur naturally in individuals as they age. Sometimes, however, hearing loss is noise-induced. In many of these cases, individuals lose their hearing due to prolonged exposure to loud noises, resulting in permanent damage over time.
Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) is an unfortunate and often avoidable disability caused by a negligent party. If you are suffering from NIHL, someone else may be legally responsible. For assistance with your case, contact the Indianapolis hearing loss lawyers at the Hankey Law Office today at (317) 634-8565.
Professions Vulnerable to Hearing Loss
Individuals working in any of the following professions may be at risk for NIHL:
- Firefighters, police officers, and paramedics
- Aircraft maintenance crews and other airport employees
- Military personnel
- Stadium employees
- Concert venue staff and other workers exposed to loud music for long periods of time
- Employees who regularly wear headsets as part of their job
If you are involved in any of the above at-risk professions or any other job in which you are exposed to sustained loud noise, the following actions may help prevent NIHL development:
- Always wear ear protection at work when you are advised to do so
- If you are not given ear protection, bring your own ear plugs or ear muffs and wear them when around loud noise
- Request a job rotation so that you are not exposed to loud noise all day
Contact an Indianapolis Hearing Loss Attorney
If you are suffering from NIHL, then another party may be responsible and you may be eligible for compensation for your hearing loss. The experienced Indianapolis hearing loss attorneys of the Hankey Law Office can protect your interests and hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions. Contact us today at (317) 634-8565.