Military personnel who have been injured in the line of duty are able to receive Social Security disability benefits, if they qualify, and if the injury occurred on October 2001 or later, they can receive expedited benefits.

For an injured military member to qualify, he or she should be “disabled,” which means the injured person can no longer perform “substantial work,” according to the Social Security Administration. Whether the injury is physical or mental, the condition must last for a year or be expected to result to death.

Once disability is proven, a disabled military service member must meet the qualifications of either the Social Security Disability Insurance program or the Supplemental Security Income program. The former requires a person to have paid taxes into the program and worked for a specified period of time, while the latter is based on financial needs.

Our lawyers at the Hankey Marks & Crider, P.C., can help any disabled person in Indiana understand their rights when it comes to disability benefits. Call us at 317-634-8565 today to discuss your eligibility.