Lead poisoning as a child may still get you monetary compensation
Lead-based paint was used in homes in America up until the late 1970’s when it finally became illegal due to the fact that it can cause lead paint poisoning. However, it is not uncommon for homes built before this law was passed to contain lead-based paint.
When the paint gets old and chips off onto the floor, young children are likely to ingest the flakes and dust. Unfortunately, the paint has a sweet flavor, which makes it more appealing to young children. This is extremely dangerous for children because a recent Federal government study found that no amount of lead is safe in a child’s body, as even the smallest amount of lead present in a child’s blood can cause significant injury.
If you suffered lead-paint poisoning as a child, you may still be eligible to receive monetary compensation for the harm it caused, even if you are a young adult now. Claims involving injured children can be made until the child is 20 years of age. Here at Hankey Marks & Crider, our lawyers believe in helping victims of lead paint poisoning in Indiana, so give us a call at (317) 634-8565.