With cold weather comes the need for heat, typically from electrical sources. Many of us rely on space heaters and even heated blankets. While these items are helpful, they can also be hazardous if not used properly or under supervision.
Here are a few tips to keep you safe and warm this winter!
- Never leave a space heater unattended and turn it off before going to sleep.
- Do not fold an electric blanket while using it, as it can damage the wires, causing it to heat or spark.
- Check cords on your electrical items to make sure they aren’t frayed or exposed.
- Never use an indoor extension cord outside, as outdoor extension cords are made of tougher material meant to stand harsh weather.
- Do not use your oven, grill, or clothes dryer to heat your home.
- Do not use a diesel- or gasoline-powered generator in your home or garage, as it can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide.
While these tips can help prevent unnecessary injuries, accidents do still happen. Make sure that your smoke detector is working. Invest in a fire extinguisher to have on hand for emergencies. If you don’t already have one, consider installing a carbon monoxide detector.
If you are injured due to a fire or electrical issue, contact our office right away at (317) 634-8565. Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys have decades of experience handling these types of cases. Our consultations are always free, and we only get paid if we get a recovery for you.
Here for justice. Here for you.