Yes and no. The first important distinction is to realize that a child, as a dependent person, is incompetent under the law and does not have the power to proceed on his or her behalf. This is an important distinction and it requires that the child have an advocate. You, as parent or guardian, must be that advocate for the child and in a civil situation you must act on behalf of the child to secure legal representation for that child.

If your child has been hurt because of another party’s negligent behavior, contact the experienced child injury lawyers of Hankey Marks & Crider at (317) 634-8565.