Hi, I’m Attorney Megan Cain from Hankey Marks & Crider. If you’re watching this video, you may have been involved in a slip and fall injury. Perhaps in an apartment complex or a grocery store. This video is designed to give you some tips on how to handle that claim when you’re dealing with an adjuster.

The number one advice I would give you is to consult an attorney, even if you don’t know if you have a great case. Even if you’re not sure, come in for a free consultation. We can talk about your options or any of your potential remedies out there. Because often times, if you’re injured at the hands of another you have rights, you just don’t know about them.

The second thing I would suggest to you, if you are injured on someone else’s property in a slip and fall, report it. Report it to the property manager or any of the employees. You want to make sure they fill out a written report so that you actually have evidence that you fell and that you were injured. I can’t stress how important that is. Second thing to think about is whether or not you remember if they had notice of the ice or the water or anything like that. Notice is a very important component in a personal injury case. If the defendant had notice, they can be liable. That means for example if they had salt out near the ice area or if they had shovels out or work orders for people who were supposed to do that but didn’t. All that bodes well for a successful case. Establishing notice is very important, so keep your ears open. If it’s an apartment complex, maybe ask your neighbors. “did you go to the management office and report there’s ice near the apartment or in the parking lot?”

So, again, I know when you fall or have an accident it’s hard to remember all those details. But take some time and think about it, and keep your ears open for what others have told you or what they told the apartment complex

Specifically the next thing I would recommend is to take pictures. Take pictures of the site of the fall, if there’s snow or ice out there and they still haven’t gotten to it. Take pictures out that. Take pictures of your injury. If there were any witnesses or someone who was with you at the time of the fall, get their contact information and get all that to your attorney so we can build a solid case against the property adjuster, or excuse me, the property owner.

The last thing I would suggest to you is that you would get treatment. When you fall, sometimes you don’t feel it right away. You’re sore or stiff for a few days, but in reality long term you could have some serious chronic back pain or you could have a fracture or a sprain. So get it checked out. Go to the emergency room right away. Follow up with your primary care physician. If they want you to do physical therapy, do it. Number one, it’s going to help you get healthier and number two it’s going to help you sustain a good personal injury case if it gets that far. I’m sure you have a lot more questions, and I would be happy to work with you. Give me a call for a free consultation. My name is Megan Cain and I’m from Hankey Marks & Crider.