Indianapolis Long-Term Disability Claims Denial Lawyer
If you have been injured in an accident that leaves you with long-term pain or an inability to work for an extended time, you need to contact an Indianapolis long-term disability claim attorney as soon as possible. While short-term disability benefits can be quite helpful at the beginning of your recovery, those benefits run out after three to six months. A long-term disability brings about a whole new set of challenges and can be a substantial financial burden on you and your loved ones.
The application process for long-term disability claims is incredibly complex and can be confusing. You need someone on your side who understands the legal process and knows how to navigate the applications and procedures necessary in a disability claim. Contact Hankey Law Office today, and we can work to help you get the compensation you’re entitled to.
While long-term disability benefits are crucial for an injured party’s recovery, insurance companies very often deny those claims. Unfortunately, the big insurance companies are financially motivated to aggressively dispute long-term disability claims because of the ongoing cost for them. If your long-term disability claim has been denied, contact Hankey Law Office, and we can help you appeal that denial.
Why do Long-Term Disability Claims Get Denied?
Insurance companies are going to stop at nothing to keep you from getting your long-term disability benefits. Frivolous denials for long-term disability claims are common. Many times, the insurance companies will claim that your injury isn’t obvious, and, therefore, you are not applicable for benefits. It is not unusual for insurance companies to ask you to provide proof of mental illness, fatigue, or chronic pain.
Another tactic the insurance companies use is to have their own doctor declare that you are not disabled. Insurance companies contract pay their doctors to issue medical opinions on cases. However, many times, those doctors give you a short, insufficient medical evaluation or make a decision based on a paper review only.
At Hankey Law Office, we’ll work with your existing doctors to ensure that you undergo a thorough medical evaluation. Often, we can prove that the insurance company doctor was negligent because it was more financially profitable for them to deny your long-term disability benefits claim.
Insurance companies are hoping to bully you into walking away. They want you to give up on the process and save them money. Or, they are hoping that you’ll choose to appeal by yourself, without the help of an attorney.
Because of their financial interests, there are many reasons that insurance companies will deny your long-term disability benefits. These can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Missed deadlines – It’s very important that all of your documents are submitted on time. The application process is intentionally strict with deadlines because they know that deadlines alone can weed out many applicants. Check with your insurance company to find out when your documents need to be submitted.
- Insufficient medical evidence – To provide the medical evidence needed to receive your long-term disability benefits, you should have regular medical care for your injuries. A documented history of doctor’s appointments and detailed records from your doctor about your injuries and subsequent care provided is critical. Additionally, you must ensure that all the required medical documentation has been submitted to the insurance company.
- Video surveillance or social media inconsistencies – Insurance companies will hire investigators to secretly film you in an attempt to catch you engaging in activities that might negate your disability claims. The only way to deal with possible video surveillance is to follow your doctor’s advice and not do anything that could aggravate your condition. These investigators will also check your social media accounts for evidence that seems to indicate you are not eligible for benefits.
And that isn’t all. Insurance companies will engage in all sorts of shady behavior to keep you from receiving the long-term disability benefits that you’re entitled to.
What to Do if Your Long-Term Disability Claim is Denied
Even if your claim for long-term disability benefits is denied, you still have options to pursue approval. You need to hire an attorney to help you appeal the denial as soon as possible. A denial appeal can be complicated, and an experienced lawyer can help you navigate the process.
For your attorney to appeal a denial for long-term disability benefits, they will do the following:
- Understand your denial letter: Under the law, insurance companies have to provide you with a copy of your claim file if requested. Your attorney will get a copy of this letter to see why the claim was denied and to determine how best to appeal the denial.
- Further testing: Many times, insurance companies deny claims based on insufficient medical evidence. Your attorney can advise you on what further medical tests – such as x-rays or blood tests – should be performed to help add evidence to your case.
- Ensure medical records got to the insurance company: Sometimes, papers or records can get lost in the shuffle. Your attorney can find out which medical records were requested and whether they were delivered on time.
- Request testimony: In some cases, having additional testimony from coworkers, neighbors, and others can help bolster your case. They can provide first-hand observations that help to paint a picture of how you are daily affected by your disability. Furthermore, it’s helpful if your attorney can get a vocational expert to testify as to what occupational limits you might have.
All of these steps in appealing a long-term disability claim denial are why you need to hire an experienced disability attorney to handle your appeal. At Hankey Law Office, we have over 75 years of legal experience and have worked on more than 10,000 disability cases. We know how to fight back against the big insurance companies and get you the benefits that you are entitled to.
Contact Us Today
A long-term disability can have devastating results for you and your loved ones, saddling you with prolonged medical expenses, chronic pain, and lost wages. At Hankey Law Office, we’re equipped with the resources and knowledge to help empower you to fight your claim and get you the help you need. There is frequently a short timeframe in which to file a claim or appeal, so you must act fast.
Contact us now for a confidential consultation, completely free of charge. Our experienced team of lawyers and legal advocates will review your case and help you to file a long-term disability claim or appeal. Call us today at (317) 634-8565.