Indianapolis 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
18-wheelers and other large commercial vehicles play a vital role in our country’s economy. As a result, they are a very common sight on our nation’s roads and highways. Unfortunately, when these vehicles are not safely maintained and operated, they can pose a significant threat to everyone on the road. While motor vehicle accidents are always dangerous, those that involve large trucks are particularly deadly.
Commercial trucks are more dangerous than smaller vehicles for a variety of reasons. Some of the factors that can make them hazardous include:
- The average 18-wheeler is 80,000lbs (40 tons), whereas the average automobile only weighs 5,000 lbs.
- The length of a truck is 70 to 80 feet long.
- Due to its size, an 18-wheeler takes almost twice as long as a smaller vehicle to stop.
- Of the eighteen wheels on a truck, only ten are part of the braking system
All of these qualities make these trucks dangerous. Accordingly, they should only be operated by well-trained professionals. A careless or inexperienced trucker can make a variety of hazardous errors, including:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Overloading the truck, or poorly securing the cargo
The consequences of a truck accident can involve medical, personal, and financial losses. If the accident was caused by a negligent driver or trucking company, victims may be entitled to fair compensation for their injuries.
If you have suffered an injury due to an 18-wheeler driver’s negligence, contact the Indianapolis 18-wheeler accident lawyers of the Hankey Law Office at (317) 634-8565. We can help you determine which steps need to be taken next.