Social Security Disability Lawyers for Chronic Pain

If your chronic pain is preventing you from working, you might qualify for social security disability benefits. At Hankey Marks & Crider, our Indiana Social Security Disability lawyers can help you file a claim or appeal a denied claim. We understand the importance of receiving the benefit payments you need to supplement your lost income. We will advocate for your rights and fight for the maximum benefits you deserve.

A disability can significantly impact your life. You’re no longer able to earn a living and might not have the physical or mental capacity to perform routine tasks. The medical care you receive could result in expensive bills and force you into debt. At Hankey Marks & Crider, our social security disability lawyers have over 80 years of combined legal experience. We’re ready to represent you in your case and use our resources to pursue the SSD benefits necessary to afford your medical treatment and replace your lost wages.

Call us at (317) 634-8565 for a free consultation and learn more about our services.

Common Symptoms of Chronic Pain

When you feel pain, it’s your body warning you of an illness or injury. Once you heal, the pain should stop. However, chronic pain can last around three to six months or longer. Chronic pain syndrome (CPS) is a medical condition that causes more than just pain. Other symptoms, such as anxiety and depression, also occur.

Doctors don’t know the exact cause, but CPS typically begins with a painful condition or injury, such as:

  • Nerve damage
  • Headaches
  • Arthritis
  • Cancer
  • Repetitive stress injury
  • Back pain
  • Acid reflux
  • Ulcers
  • Irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease
  • Broken bones
  • Lyme disease
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Muscle sprains and strains
  • Surgery
  • Endometriosis

The pain you experience could feel dull or sharp and cause an aching or burning sensation at the pain site. It can remain steady or come and go randomly. It can happen anywhere in your body and might feel different depending on the area affected by the pain.

The most common symptoms of chronic pain are:

  • Trouble sleeping
  • Joint pain
  • Fatigue
  • Mood problems
  • Muscle aches
  • Loss of flexibility and stamina
  • Burning pain

If you notice any new symptoms indicative of chronic pain, you should see your doctor immediately. It could interfere with your life and affect your physical or mental functioning. Don’t wait to seek treatment. The right plan could manage your symptoms so you can get back to your regular routine.

Two Types of Social Security Benefits

There are two main types of social security benefits you can apply for, depending on your circumstances. They both provide financial relief if an illness or injury keeps you from working. You must meet specific requirements to receive payments.

Supplemental Security Income comes from a general tax fund. The Social Security Office will review your employment history to determine if you’re eligible for benefits. The main criteria you must meet involve your income and assets. They are:

  • Limited income and less than $2,000 in assets for individuals.
  • Limited income and less than $3,000 in assets for couples.

You can use this for basic needs, such as shelter, food, and clothing. You may also be eligible for Medicaid and food stamps while you’re collecting SSI benefits. Typically, there isn’t a long waiting period before you receive your first payment. You can expect to get it within the first month of applying.

Social Security Disability comes from the social security taxes taken from your paychecks. You must wait five months before receiving your first benefit payment. You qualify for SSD as long as you have a disability that prevents you from working.

The amount of your payments will depend on how many years you remained gainfully employed and the average wages you earned before suffering a disability. The longer your work history, the more money you could receive from the Social Security Administration (SSA). You could also seek coverage for your spouse and children. You may be eligible for Medicare if you collect SSD benefits for longer than two years.

How to Determine If Chronic Pain Qualifies As A Disability

The SSA determines eligibility for disability benefits by asking five questions about your condition:

 1.  Are you working?

If you earn more than $1,310 per month in 2021, you won’t be entitled to benefits. If you’re not currently working, the Disability Determination Services office will review your application and decide if your chronic pain qualifies for coverage.

2.  Do you have a severe condition?

The chronic pain you’re experiencing must interfere with your ability to perform routine tasks at your job, such as walking, lifting, sitting, or standing for twelve months or longer.

3.  Is chronic pain on the disabling conditions list?

Chronic pain isn’t included on the disabling conditions list. However, various medical issues resulting in chronic pain are considered a disability, such as neurological disorders, certain types of cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease. If the condition causing your chronic pain is severe enough, that might qualify as a disability.

4.  Can you perform your previous job?

A qualifying disability may prevent you from performing any type of job you’ve had in the past.

5.  Can you function at any other job?

The office will also look at your chronic pain, education, prior work history, education, and applicable skills. If you’re unable to perform another job based on these factors, you could collect benefits.

Contact Us

At Hankey Marks & Crider, our team of social security disability lawyers understands the effects of chronic pain on your physical and emotional well-being. When you lose your primary source of income and can’t support your family, it becomes a significant stressor in your life. You shouldn’t have to suffer any further just because a disabling condition keeps you from your job. We can help you apply for social security benefits and fight for the maximum payments you need to pay for your daily living expenses.

If your chronic pain symptoms keep you from earning a living, do not hesitate to call Hankey Marks & Crider at (317) 634-8565 for a free consultation.