Indianapolis Grease Fire Lawyer
Fires are the leading cause of in-home fatalities and are the fifth-leading cause of unintentional death in the United States. Grease fires commonly occur in the kitchen, when oil or fat on the stove becomes far too hot and catches fire. Grease fires can easily spiral out of control and destroy an entire home, and therefore, homeowners and their families should understand how to prevent grease fires from occurring and how to control them if they do arise.
Fires fueled by grease are different than fires fueled by other types of flammable materials such as paper or wood products. Grease fires cannot be extinguished with water. In fact, throwing water on a grease fire can cause an explosion on contact, escalating the fire’s intensity. For this reason, you should never attempt to extinguish a grease fire with water. Instead, keep the following steps in mind:
- Turn off the heat source underneath the pan if you can safely reach it.
- Cover the fire in the pan with a lid, or dampen a towel and place it over the fire. Never use a wet towel, as this will cause the fire to expand, but dampen the towel to keep it from burning.
- Do not lift the lid or towel to check if the fire has been extinguished. Wait at least 20 minutes to ensure that the grease has cooled before lifting the lid or towel, as lifting it prematurely can add a surge of oxygen that causes the fire to reignite.
- Never attempt to move the pan until the grease has completely cooled. Hot grease can splatter and cause serious, debilitating burns.
The best way to prevent grease fires is to stop them from happening in the first place by keeping a close eye on stovetop pots and pans. In addition, it is important to have a functional fire alarm to alert you should a fire breakout.