Indianapolis Surgical Error Attorneys
Surgeons are highly trained and specialized medical professionals who are entrusted with one of the most serious and delicate jobs in the medical community. While surgical complications oftentimes are not due to negligence or improper action on the part of the surgeon, a staggering number of surgical errors are mistakes that could have been avoided with nothing more than reasonable care and attention.
The Indianapolis surgical error attorneys of Hankey Marks & Crider are here to represent you in your medical malpractice case if you have been the unfortunate victim of a surgical error. With our help, you may be able to recover financial compensation to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses. Contact us today at (317) 634-8565 to learn more.
Do I Need a Surgical Error Attorney?
When you are suffering after a surgical error, it may seem obvious to you that the doctor made a mistake and should be held responsible for your damages. However, a poor outcome does not necessarily mean that malpractice took place. In the eyes of the law, medical malpractice has a very specific definition, and you will have to prove that your experience qualifies in order to get any compensation.
To prove medical negligence, you will have to demonstrate that the doctor failed to provide you with the standard of care. This means that they did not treat you the same way that another competent and rational doctor in the same circumstances would have. To prove this, you will likely need to obtain testimony from experts and interpret complex medical records.
It is best to hire a lawyer to help you with these tasks. You should be spending your time and energy recovering from your injuries, not trying to put together a complex legal claim. A lawyer with experience in surgical error cases can investigate your incident, interpret your medical records, contact experts, and negotiate with insurance on your behalf. With a lawyer’s help, you are likely to receive far more in compensation than you would on your own.
Why Choose Hankey Marks & Crider to Handle My Case?
If you have been injured because of a surgical error, it is important to seek out an attorney who will fight for your rights and keep your best interests as their top priority. At Hankey Marks & Crider, we are dedicated to each client’s case, and will work tirelessly on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve.
The firm’s founder, Charles D. Hankey, has a long record of excellence in practicing law. He has worked as an attorney in Indiana for more than forty years and has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Litigation Lawyers of 2014 by the American Society of Legal Advocates. Attorney James M. Dubach has also been recognized as a top attorney in Indiana for providing client satisfaction in injury matters. Our firm’s lawyers have nearly eight decades of combined experience, gaining the knowledge and skills to effectively defend your case.
At Hankey Marks & Crider, we have been highly successful in obtaining compensation for injured individuals. We care about our clients, and our compassionate attorneys have a track record of being able to successfully resolve numerous cases. You should not have to suffer alone in this terrible circumstance. Hankey Marks & Crider offers a completely confidential initial consultation, so you can explore your legal options risk-free.
There are a number of things that can go wrong during a surgery, both preventable and non-preventable. A responsible hospital will ensure that certain procedures are in place to prevent as many injuries as possible. However, when a surgeon is not acting in a responsible manner or paying adequate attention to his or her work, preventable accidents are likely to occur, and the results can be fatal.
Errors that can occur due to surgeon negligence include:
- Wrong site surgery: Surgeons should confirm that they are performing the surgery on the correct body part on the correct side of the body.
- Incorrect procedure: Sometimes a surgeon performs a completely incorrect procedure, which may not address initial concerns and may cause further complications.
- Mishandling of surgical instruments: A doctor must use the proper tools and ensure that they are sterile before use.
- Foreign objects inside body cavity: This can include surgical tools and sponges that should have been removed.
- Surgery on wrong patient: Surgeons should confirm they are operating on the correct patient before beginning.
- Improper suturing: Care and attention must be used when suturing to ensure that incisions heal correctly.
- Post-surgical complications: These complications can include things such as avoidable infections.
The Indianapolis surgical error attorneys of Hankey Marks & Crider will fight to get you the compensation you deserve if you have been the victim of any of the above surgical errors. Some compensation you may be eligible to receive includes:
- Medical expenses, for further surgeries and medical care you need to correct the error
- Lost wages, if you have to miss work while recovering from your injuries
- Lost earning potential, if you will be unable to return to the same job you had prior to the error
- Rehabilitative expenses, including both physical and emotional therapy
- Pain and suffering, for loss of quality of life and/or mental anguish
- Death benefits, if your loved one passes away as a result of a surgical error
If you have been the victim of a surgical error, it is imperative that you contact a legal professional immediately. Not only do you deserve full compensation for your injuries, but it is critical that you send a message to the medical community that there are serious consequences for poor surgical care by holding liable surgeons responsible for their actions. Taking action now could help save future victims from similar experiences.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a surgical error, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and medical expenses. It is important to act quickly to preserve your rights and to achieve the justice you deserve. By taking action in your case, you may prevent another individual from having to suffer a similar injury because of the negligence of a medical professional.
Whether you are certain that your case will be successful or are not sure if you should pursue litigation, contact the Indianapolis medical malpractice attorneys of Hankey Marks & Crider today at (317) 634-8565 to discuss your legal rights and options.